Tax Resources for Care Professionals


The tax information contained on this website is not meant to be exhaustive and is not meant to be tax advice. We are providing introductory information for U.S. income tax requirements of au pairs working in the US on J-1 visas. If you have any questions about your tax obligation you should speak with a professional tax advisor or Certified Public Accountant. Please note that PROaupair, our staff, and Area Directors are not able to provide any additional guidance or tax advice.


For tax year 2020 (taxes filed in 2021), the federal tax filing deadline was extended from April 15, 2021 to May 17, 2021. Please check with your individual state to determine if the state tax deadline was extended from April 15, 2021 as well.
Apex Social Group has teamed up with Sprintax, an easy-to-use online tool to prepare your tax return. When you set up an account with Sprintax, you can easily prepare fully compliant Federal and State tax returns online. As a Care Professional with Apex Social, you will receive a $10 discount off the processing fee. Enter the code SpT20AUP301F10 in the discount code box on the payment page at the end of the process.

Sprintax has 24/7 Live Chat customer service to guide you through the process.
Apex cannot provide tax filing advice. However, the IRS website explains the process and required forms. However, Apex recommends seeking the advice of a tax specialist or using one of the many online tax tools, such as Sprintax, to assist filing your return.
It is important to understand that 2018 tax rules have changed based upon the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The biggest change is that there is no longer a federal exemption for nonresident aliens meaning that every dollar earned by a nonresident alien is subject to federal income tax.
Although each situation is different and unique to you, as a general rule, you should set aside around 10% to 15% of the au pair income you make in the U.S. to cover federal taxes owed. The actual amount you need to pay will vary based on a number of factors.
In addition to paying federal income tax, some au pairs may be required to pay state income tax, depending on the state you live(d) in. Check the state’s tax revenue website for details or use Sprintax to guide you through the process.


Physical Therapist
Occupational Therapist
Speech Therapist

Health Care

Nursing Specialist
Healthcare Worker/Nurse
Skip to content